Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2012 Was a Very Good Year. This week Bob looks back on 2012, considers some memorable moments from the past and looks forward to 2013.

I like January because it is the beginning of a new year, and even though it's cold, dark and snowy in northeast Ohio, it's also a time to look back on the past year and begin a new one with a clean slate and new ideas.

Looking back on 2012, I was gifted with a memory that will be with me for the rest of my life. Shamrock celebrated its 30th anniversary as a company filled with promise and growth. In 1982, when Shamrock expanded in Cleveland, I had a concrete plan and an idea of where I wanted the company to be, but honestly, I had no idea where it would be in 2012. But I stuck to my plan, I hired wonderful, brilliant people and Shamrock took off and went well beyond my most strategic plans.

The memory of 2012 that will stay with me is the surprise party and recognition I received for 30 years of building a great company with great people. Friends, employees and family plotted for months behind the scenes to prepare a tribute that included videos and a book highlighting those 30 wonderful years. These people made a grown man cry!

The aftermath of this celebration got me thinking beyond 2012 and into the new year. In the back of my mind there's been a plan brewing for several years. To accomplish this plan I've put together a strong, smart executive team and a company president who is a great leader. These people are prepared to step into the future. I've also initiated the process of forming an advisory board made up of some of the most notable corporate CEOs and senior partners in this region, and I plan to head this advisory board to help transition Shamrock into a vision I've had for the company's long-term growth.

ONE FINAL THOUGHT...
With Shamrock's 30th anniversary and a party to honor those 30 years, in 2012 my family, my friends and the entire Shamrock family made me feel like a rock star, so to quote a real rock star, Joe Walsh, I can only say that "...life's been good to me so far...," and it can only get better from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment