Wednesday, November 7, 2012

THANKS TO VETERANS. This week, Bob gives thanks to veterans old and new.

I like it that November, the month of Thanksgiving, begins with a tribute to veterans who are gone and those who are with us today. Without these people in service, it's likely that the freedoms we hold so close to our hearts might be different than they are today.

As a young college student, it was my hope to follow in my father's footsteps and help save our country by enlisting in the U.S. Naval Air Corps. My dad was part of The Greatest Generation. He left his job and family to fight for our freedom at one of the most critical times in the history of our country.

Unfortunately for me, I was not able to serve, so I have had to live my military life through my father, and more recently, through my son-in-law, Scott.

On October 31, Scott became a military veteran, after serving 13 years as a navy pilot. He served 4 years overseas and most recently spent 7 months in Northeast Africa, involved in counter-terrorism action. Scott can tell you firsthand that terrorism is on the rise and focused primarily on the United States.

If you fast-forward from my dad's generation, I believe we, as a country, have a very complacent attitude toward our military. I believe strongly that our country's strength will only continue through a strong military!

Reflecting on this Veterans Day, let's stand together and pledge that our freedom should never be compromised, and give heartfelt thanks to the U.S. military and the veterans young and old who are vigilant about protecting our freedom.

ONE LAST THING...
Did you know that the first Federal holiday commemorating Veterans Day, (legislated as part of the Uniform Holiday Bill), was signed on June 28, 1968? Under Gerald Ford, the original date of November 11th was designated as a Federal holiday, unless the date falls on a weekend. In that case, such as this year, it is observed on the following Monday (November 12, 2012). Veterans Day continues to be a celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

No comments:

Post a Comment